Just announced! This year there are three workshops to choose from, and they are sure to sell out quickly. To register for a workshop, use the IAAAM Conference Registration link. You do not need to register for the full conference and can just register for a workshop if that is all you plan to attend. If you have any questions or are having difficulty registering, please contact the Conference Office at either email@example.com or 802-865-5202.
1. Corals, Urchins, Reefs – Oh My! SOLD OUT!
Join us for an aquatic adventure in Cancun! We are teaming up Dolphinaris to introduce you to some of the key players in tropical reefs and begin to explore some of the challenges facing reefs around the world. The day will begin with a series of morning lectures at Dolphinaris. You will learn about the anatomy, physiology, health and disease of corals and urchins as well as efforts to propagate these organisms for use in restoration efforts. We will review key features of the reefs around Cancun, and discuss ongoing problems and current research. After lunch, we will be visiting some of these reef sites, heading out in boats and snorkeling select areas to highlight some of the issues raised during the morning discussions. You will learn to identify key species and assess state of health or disease of these reef sites. We will end the day with a debriefing at Dolphinaris before heading back to the hotel to get ready for the conference ice-breaker in the evening.
Presented by: Ilze K. Berzins, Ruth Francis-Floyd, and Leonardo Ibarra Vargas
- When: Saturday, May 20, 2017 from 8:00am to 5:00pm. Shuttles will pick up at the Marriott at 7:30am.
- Where: Lectures and boat launch/return at Dolphinaris.
- Cost: $150
- Includes: Shuttle from and return to Marriott, insurance, lunch, fins, mask and snorkel (though participants can bring their own).
- Participants should plan to bring: reef safe sun lotion and long sleeve rash guards.
- Minimum / Maximum Number of Participants: 8 / 16
- Questions: Please contact Ilze Berzins with any questions pertaining this workshop: Ilze.K.Berzins@gmail.com
2. Advanced Dolphin Ultrasonography Workshop SOLD OUT!
Participants will be provided 2 - 2.5 hours of lecture presenting acoustic windows, descriptions of the ultrasonographic anatomy of dolphins, and the appearance of the most common pathologies detectable with ultrasonography. Protocols of examination of the digestive system, the urinary tract, the reproductive system, the pancreas, the spleen, and many lymph nodes will be represented along with examination of the thorax and the eye. Hands-on practical examinations of the animals by participants under guidance by the instructors will follow the lectures. All equipment will be provided.
Presented by: Marina Ivančić, DVM, DACVR and Pietro Saviano DVM PhD
- When: Saturday, May 20, 2017 from 7:30am to 3:30pm
- Where: Dolphinaris Cancun
- Cost: $200
- Includes: Shuttle from and return to Marriott, light breakfast and lunch
- Participants should plan to bring: Swimsuit, rash guard, cap, sunscreen
- Minimum / Maximum Number of Participants: 6 / 8
3. American College of Zoological Medicine Exam Preparation and Study Course
Anyone interested in learning more about the American College of Zoological Medicine, those that are interested in seeking Diplomate status, are in the process of preparing for examination, or any individual who is interested in in-depth, up-to-date, literature-based review lectures on zoological medicine can benefit from this course. Specific lecture topics will be announced shortly but the course will also include information on becoming board-eligible, study and test-taking strategies, an explanation of the job task analysis which represents an important aspect in examination design, networking opportunities, and mock examinations.
As there will be no traditional short course in 2017, these courses offered in association with a conference will be the only training courses offered by the ACZM in 2017.
Coordinated By: Chris Hanley, DVM, Dipl ACZM and additional instructors
- When: Saturday, May 20, 2017 from 8:00am – 5:00pm
- Where: Marriott, Casa Magna Resort – Room will be announced closer to the event
- Cost: $120
- Includes: An electronic version of ACZM information handouts, in-depth lecture materials, lunch, and refreshments during breaks. While not included, participants will be encouraged to get dinner together to expand their networking opportunities.
- Minimum / Maximum Number of Participants: 10 / Unlimited