To assist veterinarians, laboratory technicians, animal trainers and animal keepers in all facets of managing the health of the park’s collection animals and stranded animals being rehabilitated through the rescue/rehabilitation program. Enthusiastically represents SeaWorld by displaying a positive attitude, high level of energy and commitment to quality throughout all aspects of the job.
- Maintains medical records and enters data into electronic animal record system (ARTEMIS).
- Maintains pharmacy, surgical, radiographic, medical supplies, and equipment.
- Dispenses vitamins, drugs and other supplies, when needed.
- Prepares and assist with triage, surgery, radiology/imaging, necropsy and medical procedures.
- Provides surgical assistance and anesthetic monitoring.
- Provides medical treatment and phlebotomy.
- Assists laboratory staff as needed in performing laboratory diagnostic procedures.
- Assists veterinary staff in organizing and administering animal health programs including preventative medicine, diagnostic procedures, and therapy.
- Coordinates and implements surgical area safety programs with the department safety officer in the lab.
- Archives diagnostic digital images.
- Performs pharmaceutical and consumable supply inventories.
- Cooperatively coordinates animal quarantine and pre-shipment protocols with veterinarians and animal areas.
- Assists and participates in animal care projects as requested.
- Follows safe work practice controls for laboratory workers.
- Prepares and processes samples and maintain records for research projects.
Required Skills, Knowledge, Training, and Education
- Veterinary Technician certification (C.V.T.) in the state of California, or eligible to acquire certification within one year.
- AVMA accredited associate’s degree in Veterinary fields or registration as a veterinary technician in the State of California.
- Minimum of 2 years work experience as a Veterinary Technician in a zoological facility preferred.
- Marine mammal experience preferred.
- Wildlife rehabilitation experience preferred.
- Must be available for call back in the event of an emergency.
- Medical procedures require standing, walking, using hands, hearing, talking and vision, and shuttling equipment, therefore, must be able to lift and carry 25 lb.
- Maintaining records, computer data entry, dispensing vitamins, and ordering supplies require standing, walking, using hands, vision.
- There is a limited exposure to toxic or caustic chemicals and radiation. PPE is provided when necessary.
- Must have valid California driver's license; visiting students and military must have valid driver's license from the state of residency and able to provide a copy of the DMV report.
- Resume Required
- Must have 5 days unrestricted Sunday - Thursday or Tuesday through Saturday.
Park Name: SeaWorld San Diego
Location: San Diego, CA
Requisition Number: 5824
Status: Full Time Hourly
Pay Rate: $23.97/hr.
Relocation Provided: No
Closing Date: 2/26/2018 11:59 PM ET