Become a Sea Life Park Intern
Sea Life Park Hawai'i offers several types of unpaid internship opportunities near Honolulu, including Marine Mammal Care & Training, Seabird Care & Rehabilitation, Veterinary Technician, and Educator Experiences. We will be happy to work with your college or university to develop a program tied to your academic goals. Our internships are ideal for students who love marine animals and want hands–on experience working with them. Our interns will also have the opportunity to gain in-depth knowledge of animal training through a unique phase training program. All of our internships require our interns to participate in food preparation for the animals of the park, so applicants must be comfortable working with frozen fish.
Aloha interns will get to work primarily with dolphins. These interns have the opportunity to assist with dolphin training, husbandry, interactive programs, and observe some of our younger dolphins learning new behaviors. If your main focus is dolphins and learning about guest interactions, this is the internship for you!
Dolphin Lagoon interns will work with dolphins and sea lions involved in our shows, exhibits, and interactive programs. These interns get to assist in training, husbandry, and interactive sessions with dolphins; as well as learn basic showmanship and show production skills during the daily Sea Life Park Hawai'i Dolphin Lagoon Show. Interns also assist in the daily training, care, and educational presentations with our sea lions and penguins.
Interns in the Hawaiian Experience get to assist with husbandry, training, and shows involving our dolphins, sea lions, and penguins. Interns may also assist with basic husbandry of our Hawaiian monk seal, and help trainers during our sea lion interactive program. If you are interested in shows and have a love for sea lions this is the internship for you!
Education interns will work with our in-house and outreach education programs. In our classroom, interns have the opportunity to assist with program instruction and curriculum development at the elementary, middle, and high school levels. Interns also participate in park activities, the development of educational and interactive displays, and community programs. This experience allows interns to participate in a wide variety of activities, as well as learn all of what Sea Life Park Hawaii has to offer.
Veterinary Technician Experience
Interns will work with a large variety of marine mammals, as well as penguins, sea turtles, reef fish, and seabirds. In our veterinary department, interns assist our staff with the husbandry and treatment of all animals housed in the park. Interns also help with lab procedures, sample processing, and record keeping.
Interns work with a large variety of healthy and rehabilitating seabirds. At our Seabird Sanctuary, interns assist in the husbandry and treatment of non-releasable species of seabirds. At our Seabird Rehabilitation Center, interns help our veterinary staff with seabird medical treatments, husbandry, and reintroduction into the wild.
Internship Program Candidate Requirements
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Be enrolled in or have graduated from a university or college
- Commit to the full internship time period
- Be able to financially support her or himself (Internships are unpaid, but lunches are included daily).
- Have strong swimming skills and be physically able to work in in-water interactive programs with marine mammals and other species
- Be comfortable with public speaking
- Be comfortable handling frozen fish
Accepted applicants must:
- Attend all required seminars and training courses
- Commit to a minimum of 40 hours per week (including nights and weekends)
- Be able to lift 50lbs.
Application Packets must include:
- Two letters of recommendation
- College transcript(s) – an unofficial copy is fine
- Statement of interest:
- CV or resume
- Statement of Interest: Please include a 1–2 page typed statement of interest that explains your reasons for applying, your background information, your interests, your academic and field related experiences, and your personal goals for the Sea Life Park Hawai'i internship.
To apply for a Sea Life Park Hawai'i Internship Program, download and complete the application below, attach all required materials, and mail to the address below or to:
Sea Life Park Hawai'i
41-202 Kalaniana'ole Highway #7
Waimanalo, Hawai'i 96795
Internship Availability Dates: August 8, 2017-January 9, 2018
Application Deadline: May 12, 2017